5 Ideas to Cure the Winter Blues in Staten Island
With the holiday season behind us, and the spring still weeks ahead, January can be tortuously slow and boring for adults and kids alike — even pets are antsy to get out of the house.
Below are five affordable ideas for people living in Staten Island to cure their “winter blues.”
Most people who resolve to stay fit and lose weight each January 1, usually find themselves slacking by the end of the month. Yoga is a great way to get in shape without the risk of high-impact injuries. Start with taking a gentle class if you are a beginner or are recovering from an injury. Check out these places below, as some offer free or donation-based classes, as well as children’s classes and Bikram:
- Yoga and Melody — 3173 Richmond Road, SI, NY 10306
- Some Like It Hot Yoga & Wellness — 181 New Dorp Lane, SI, NY 10306
- Willow Pilates & Yoga, Inc — 629 N Railroad Ave, SI, NY 10304
- Shakti Yoga Center — 3 Victory Blvd, SI, NY 10301
A healthy body goes hand in hand with a healthy mind and spirit. Meditation and tai chi are excellent in keeping you in shape and they also reduce stress and anxiety very well without the negative side effects of prescription drugs. Although there are few places to formally practice in Staten Island (some are listed below), once you learn how to meditate or do tai chi, you can do it anytime and anywhere.
- The Compassion Center — 19 Dockside Lane, SI, NY 10308
- Kickboxing Tae Kwon Do & Tai Chi Chuan Center — 11 Sylvia St., SI, NY 10312
- Zen Community of Staten Island — 1 Campus Road, SI, NY 10301
Dust off those skates and have some retro fun at Roller Jam USA, the island’s only indoor skating rink. Grab a slice of pizza and a beer from the bar and jam out with friends to music played by a DJ on Saturday nights. This family-friendly venue also includes an arcade and offers kids only skating early evenings during the week.
- Roller Jam USA — 236 Richmond Valley Rd, SI, NY 10307
Shooting pool is one of those activities most people enjoy playing but never do. Next time you and your friends are going out for some beers, head to one of these pool halls for some laid back fun.
- Cue Time Billiards — 319 Clawson Street, SI, NY 10306
- Unique Lounge & Billiards — 1757 Arthur Kill Rd # E, Staten Island, NY 10312
- Joe Broadway’s Billiards & Sports Pub — 2178 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10303
From selecting the perfect piece, to painting it just how you like to watching it come to life in the kiln, ceramics is always a fun way to spend a few hours. Visit this place alone, with friends or with family to make a truly unique keepsake of a great day.
- Created By You — 59 New Dorp Plaza N, SI, NY 10306
Latest posts by Amanda Gough (see all)
- Dock Street Records Offers Free Local Music Compilation - November 21, 2017
- Free Uber Rides for Staten Islanders on Thanksgiving Eve - November 20, 2017
- 5 Staten Island Businesses To Buy Gifts From This Holiday Season - November 10, 2017