For 20 years the Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame has stayed true to it’s mission, “To recognize those individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to Staten Island sports history, and by virtue of their accomplishments, service or force of character, have enriched that history for all time.” On Saturday the class of 2014 Hall of Famer’s were Inducted many of who live & played for schools on the North Shore.
2014 Hall of Fame Inductees
- Eileen Aponte: led Curtis HS to four straight city championships in softball and a fifth city championship in gymnastics.
- Leon Brown: a body building legend on two coasts holds title to include Jr Mr America, Mr Eastern America and the USA Masters. Arnold Schwarzenegger sent a special video tribute to Leon.
- Bob Daggert: won 504 games in 25 seasons as the girl’s basketball coach at St Peter’s and Curtis High School.
- Steve Gregory: a safety with the San Diego Chargers and New England Patriots played in the 2012 Superbowl for the Patriots against the New York Giants.
- Frank Hannigan: was an insightful and outspoken champion and critic of golf in a lifetime as a writer, administrator and television analysts.
- Peter Meuer: was the most prolific amatuer winner Staten Island golf has ever seen.
- Glembly (Glen) Mosley: , a slick-fielding second baseman, played a central role in the final years of negro League baseball in New York. He played for the NY Black Yankees from 1946 – 1949.
- Bill Murtha: one of the best high school basketball players of his generation and a budding college star led his St peter’s team to a record 28 victories and notoriety far beyond the Island’s shores.
The SI Sports Hall of Fame is located in the CYO / MIV center on the grounds of Mt Loretto at 6541 Hylan Boulevard, Staten Island, NY 10309.
Like the SI Sports Hall of Fame on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/StatenIslandSportsHallOfFame
Ettore grew up working in the restaurant & catering business from the age of 12. He graduated from the College of Staten Island with a Bachelors’s in Mathematics & Finance in 1985. In 1986 he started Chez Vous caterers from the basement of his home in Dongan Hills and caters parties at homes and businesses in the tri-state area. In Oct 1987 he rented the first floor of Edgewater Hall at 691 Bay Street. A few years later he added the party rental division to Chez Vous. In 1998 he purchased Edgewater Hall and renovated the first and second floors making them party spaces. Shortly thereafter he purchased from his tenant the cellar bar creating Dock Street Underground a live music venue. His creative projects include his CD Sweet on You, his book, It’s Your Right to be Fit, Sexed, and Happy, So Claim It, and he is developing a TV series called Business Underground. His record labels Hanz On Music and Dock Street Records has produced Method Man’s “The Meth Lab.” and produces 2nd Generation Wu projects.